From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Vance R. Koven
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 5:57 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Secularization of Christmas

I think Daniel Henninger had the right idea in his December 16 column in the Wall Street Journal (that bastion of religious sentiment). Christmas is really two separate holidays and should be so understood and publicly acknowledged. The celebration of the birth of Christ is a religious holiday observed by a minority of Americans, and observed in passing by others. The other holiday, the one with Santa Claus and evergreen trees and gift-giving (and gift-buying) and sleigh rides and chestnuts roasting on an open fire, that's an entirely secular/cultural holiday that almost anybody in America celebrates or can celebrate. It should have its own name: let's call it "Yule." Its principal justification is the celebration of generosity and good fellowship, which I think most of us can get behind.

The fact that Yule is at some historical remove related to or derivative of Christmas is about as relevant as that December 25 was the date of a pagan holiday or that humans and Zinjanthropus are biologically related. One of the reasons for the draconian Puritan laws in New England forbidding the celebration of Christmas was because, centuries ago, the Christmas holiday in England and elsewhere had become taken over by those celebrating Yule, getting drunk and rowdy. That Yule is fully secular, as much so as (more than, I think) Thanksgiving, is surely demonstrated by its being celebrated in Japan and China, where there are no Christians to speak of.

Thus understood, public displays for Yule should be permitted on cultural grounds, but displays relating to Christmas (e.g., creches) should be subject at the very least to the rule of multifariousness: OK to acknowledge in context with other religious celebrations as part of the salad-bowl culture, but not by themselves. Today I passed by the "holiday" display in the City of Quincy, Massachusetts, which had a snowman, a Santa Claus, a nutcracker (!), and a menorah (!!). If there was anything denoting Kwanzaa, I didn't see it. I think the public, and its representatives, and its judges, are deeply confused, and a sorting out of holidays might help.

Lots of Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and probably Muslim Americans celebrate Yule, though they don't celebrate Christmas. For that matter, lots of nominal Christians only celebrate Yule. Nobody is obligated to celebrate Yule, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Mother's Day or any other purely cultural holiday, but I see no promotion of religion in celebrating any of these. The "war over Christmas" is a war over a false definition.

On 12/23/0 (!!)5, Paul Horwitz <<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Given the wealth of examples Belz cites, all of which occurred even before
the end of the first week of December, might he not have begun asking
himself whether his operating thesis -- that "the secularists" are
attempting to secularize the Christmas season -- is not itself due for
reexamination, or at least for the application of a little more nuance and
care?  If USA Today, the Hollywood studios, and NPR -- "of all places" --
are all, in one way or another, adding religious content to the public
square, or at least recognizing the centrality of Christmas in many
Americans' lives, then rather than asking whether the "secularists" have
failed "to win their point," might he instead inquire into whether the
attack on Christmas he apparently believes is failing even exists in the
first place, beyond some isolated factoids?

--
Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.