Marty,

        Thanks.

Thornton, however, did not involve a statutory directive to government to accommodate the religious needs of certain individuals, but rather a statutory duty imposed on one set of private parties to accommodate the religious needs of another set of private parties.

And Texas Monthly was a tax case. (There is, of course, language in both cases that might be relevant to the narrower issue I'm pursuing.)

The Christian Science case is more directly on point, though, as you say, it involves a pretty extreme case.

My question then, as refined, is this: Outside of the most blatant denominational preferences, are there good examples of statutory religion-based exemptions, defined in the narrow way I have in mind, being struck down?

        Thanks again.

                                        Perry