Read the legislative history behind RFRA from beginning to end -- the administration of illegal drugs to children by religious groups is not there.  It is a wholesale reconstruction of history to believe that Congress considered the issue in any way, shape, or form.  The vast majority, i.e., over 95%, of the legislative history involves castigating the Supreme Court for Smith.  The practical consequences of RFRA were never approached, because Congress's purpose was to reverse a Supreme Court decision, without any meaningful consideration of what that would accomplish at a policy level.  Now, there are post hoc justifications for RFRA proffered all around, but they do not displace what Congress actually considered and actually knew at the time it was enacted.

As to policy choices, it is my view that RFRA is unsound constitutionally and policy-wise, but the latter does not undermine the former.

And, yes, the placement of a drug on Schedule I does, indeed, end the discussion when the drug is being administered to minors.  The fact the drugs were delivered in a religious context does not change the extraordinary interest of the children.

Marci