Volokh, Eugene wrote:

        The Boy Scouts asserts the following:

        "With respect to positions limited to professional Scouters or,
because of their close relationship to the mission of Scouting,
positions limited to registered members of the Boy Scouts of America,
acceptance of the Declaration of Religious Principle, the Scout Oath,
and the Scout Law is required.  Accordingly, in the exercise of its
constitutional right to bring the values of Scouting to youth members,
Boy Scouts of America will not employ atheists, agnostics, known or
avowed homosexuals, or others as professional Scouters or in other
capacities in which such employment would tend to interfere with its
mission of reinforcing the values of the Scout Oath and the Scout Law in
young people."

        Say that the Boy Scouts are sued for refusing to hire an atheist
or agnostic for a high leadership position.  They raise a RFRA defense,
as well as a post-Smith Free Exercise Clause defense.  Yes, they say,
our shared religious beliefs are quite limited -- we don't insist on
agreement about the Trinity, about the divinity of Christ, or even about
monotheism.  (I'm not sure whether the Scouts read the "God" in their
Declaration of Religious Principles as necessarily referring to only one
God, but assume that they don't.)  But we do have two shared religious
beliefs:  God(s) do(es) exists, and we must be reverent to Him/Them.  We
therefore have the right to hire as our leaders only those who share the
group's stated religious beliefs, just as a church or a synagogue has
the right to hire as its leaders only those who share its religious
beliefs.  What result?

        This doesn't, of course, test the access-to-subsidy aspects of
my earlier hypotheticals.  But it does test the question whether the Boy
Scouts have any RFRA rights, or whether they are so latitudinarian that
they can't be said to have a religious practice to be burdened.

I think they would be reluctant to assert that they are a religious organization because they are involved in so many cases involving government benefits. If they take the position that they are an explicitly religious organization, they will have a much harder time making the case for subsidy.

Ed Brayton