Ed, we are largely together here.  We need to understand, however, what “within the confines of those organizations” means.  But that, in turn, invites an inquiry more generally into the reach or ambit of religious associational autonomy and privacy.  The difficulty largely concerns activities conducted by religious organizations that, to use Noonan and Gaffney’s felicitous term, do double duty, that is, serve both religious and secular purposes.  The Court has indicated some unwillingness, at least in Title VII cases, to probe too deeply into the boundary, if any, that might exist between the religious and the secular.  See Amos.  But it would be difficult to argue that the courts should never consider the boundary question, regardless of circumstances.

It would be fair to consider, given the history of oppression, whether a claim that an activity is “religious” might merely in reality be a sham, a cover for continued oppression.  Oppression should never qualify as “religious.”

We won’t get neat and tidy results, using such and approach, but we stand a good chance of getting fair and defensible results if we do.

From: Ed Brayton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:41 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities Issue

Newsom Michael wrote:

I am not sure that we have a mirror here.  Gay people are trying to get out from under an oppressive regime the likes of which conservative believers have not had to endure – nor are likely to.

While I agree with this, I don't think it really cuts against Doug's argument. And I say this as a very vocal proponent of gay rights. I absolutely agree that gay people have lived under an oppressive system for far too long and I strongly support gay marriage, gay adoptions and a myriad of other correctives. But I don't think that gay liberation requires forcing churches and religious organizations to change either their personal beliefs or their actions *within the confines of those organizations*. In fact, I think it is dangerous for gay rights proponents to push for policies that would place such a requirement because it undermines our own arguments in favor of self-determination and freedom of association. It's not just a bad idea as a practical matter, it's unprincipled as well. We certainly want to prevent such people from imposing their beliefs on the private behavior of gays (and the rest of us, in a wide range of other ways as well); but we undermine our principled position if we then seek to have government impose restrictions on their private behavior (as opposed to the laws they advocate).

Ed Brayton