A few reactions:

1. Would courts see this as a Braunfeld v. Brown case?  I.e. one in which
the state's rule does not directly conflict with (i.e. visit some legal
consequence as a result of) the religious duty -- as the Sunday closing law
did not directly conflict with the Orthodox shopkeepers' Saturday Sabbath
duty  -- but rather the state's rule interacts with the religious duty to
make it, indirectly, more costly to follow the latter (in that case,
effectively meaning that the Orthodox business has to be closed two days a
week instead of one).  Braunfeld said that "indirect" burdens like this
don't trigger strict scrutiny, in part because of the sort of parade of
horribles that Steve Jamar raises.  I can see differences between this case
and Braunfeld, but the indirect-direct distinction would cut off the parade
of horribles, and it would explain much of the pattern of accommodations
Steve describes (changed or alternate days for a competition, test, or
meeting itself, where otherwise religious duty would directly prevent the
student from participating).

2. But if Eugene's hypo is as strict as he says, i.e. that students need the
whole time allocated to complete the exam/competition, then the burden looks
direct -- creating an absolute conflict rather than simply making it more
difficult or complicated for the religious believer to put in as much time
as others (requiring some choices of the believer, somewhat less sleep,
etc.).  The strictness of the hypo becomes more plausible as the relevant
time period is shorter.  The lost day makes up a greater percentage of a
shorter time period; the cost of one lost day can be more easily spread over
five or six other days than over two others.  As the time available for
cost-spreading is shorter, the burden surely at some point becomes direct,
analogous to Sherbert rather than Braunfeld (e.g. imagine a 24-hour
take-home in which 18 of the hours allocated were on the student's Sabbath).

3. RFRA may replace a flat direct/indirect distinction with a case-by-case
analysis of the seriousness of the burden.  That might be more consistent
with the statutory term "substantial" burden (and I don't believe that
RFRA's legislative history positively referred to Braunfeld as it positively
referred to Lyng v. Nw. Indian Cemetery Prot. Assn., another pre-Smith case
interpreting cognizable "burdens" narrowly).  If this is the right
interpretation of RFRA, there's plenty of room for a court to differentiate
among the burdens involved in shorter and longer time periods.

4. Sherbert later read Braunfeld as resting also on the interest in having a
uniform day of rest.  Whatever one thinks of that rationale (and of course
the day of rest has more of a religious background than this policy does),
the need for uniformity  seems even weaker in the case of a take-home exam
or competition (why can't different students pick up and return them at
different times, as is often done with exams and competitions?).  There
might be a different state interest here against giving a student an extra
day:  the state might worry that even if the student is not physically
working on the exam on the Sabbath, he or she could be thinking about it and
thereby gaining an advantage (however conscientious one might be, it could
be hard to keep the problem out of one's head).  In the case of the
three-day exam, there is an easy less restrictive alternative:  allow the
student to take it over three days that don't include the sabbath (there's
no problem with that except the weak interest in uniformity).  Even a
six-day period can be largely tailored to individual situations, now that
assignments can be (and so often are) given out and submitted
electronically.  But for an assignment of a week or longer, avoiding the
Sabbath isn't an option.  Together with the greater ease of time-spreading,
it seems to me this makes the case for a compelled exemption weaker in the
week-long case -- even if it might be a good idea for the school to
accommodate in that situation as well.

My bottom line is that, as in most other exemption cases, there are sensible
distinctions that can be made that neither reject all exemption claims nor
grant them all.

Tom Berg
University of St. Thomas (Minnesota)

  _____