From: "Volokh, Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:23 am
Subject: "St. Paul City Office Boots Easter Bunny"

> The AP reports, http://www.beliefnet.com/story/188/
story_18830_1.html:
> "A small Easter display was removed from the City Hall lobby
on
> Wednesday out of concern that it would offend non-Christians.
>
> "The display -- a cloth Easter bunny, pastel-colored eggs and
a sign
> with the words 'Happy Easter' -- was put up by a City Council
> secretary.They were not purchased with city money.
>
> "Tyrone Terrill, the city's human rights director, asked that the
> decorations be removed. Terrill said no citizen had complained
> him....
>
> "In 2001, red poinsettias were briefly banned from a holiday
> display [in
> City Hall] because they were associated with Christmas."
>
> I should mention that Human Rights Director Terrill also filed a
> complaint against the St. Paul Press newspaper claiming that a
> raciallythemed cartoon created a hostile public
accommodations
> environment, but
> eventually dropped it as a result of public pressure.  See
Charge of
> Discrimination, Terrill v. Saint Paul Pioneer Press, case no.
A-3497
> (St. Paul Dep't of Hum. Rts. docketed June 7, 1999); Charles
> Laszewski,Human Rights Complaint Against Newspaper
Appears to Be a
> First, ST. PAUL
> PIONEER PRESS, June 11, 1999, at 4D; Charles Laszewski,
Terrill
> Says He
> Will Drop Newspaper Bias Charge, ST. PAUL PIONEER
PRESS, June 23,
> 1999,at 6B.
>
> Eugene
>
> Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be
viewed
> as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read
messages
> that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list
members
> can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

begin:vcard
n:Tushnet;Mark
fn:Mark Tushnet,tushnet
tel;fax:202-662-9497
tel;work:202-662-1906
org:Georgetown University Law Center;
adr:;;600 New Jersey Ave. NW;Washington;DC;20001;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
end:vcard