I would like to see a copy of this judgment.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 12:20 AM
Subject: InnerChange decision

I don't have a link, and I don't want to clog all your boxes with a massive attachment, but I just received from the New York Times a sweeping opinion from the Southern District of Iowa, striking down Prison Fellowship's state funded program in the Iowa prisons.  Americans United (quoted below) claims a massive victory.  And on a very quick skim, I think that's right.  The program sounds very similar to the proposed federal program we were debating a few days ago.  Of course I assume that Iowa and Prison Fellowship will appeal.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX  78705
   512-232-1341 (phone)
   512-471-6988 (fax)

The court just handed down the InnerChange decision.  It is 140 pages long and permanently enjoins the program so long as it is funded by government dollars.  It also orders “recoupment,” which means payments back from Prison Fellowship Ministries to the state, of more than $1.5 million.  (Those monies have to go back to the funds within the prison system to benefit inmates, from which they were taken.)  We haven’t read the decision yet, obviously, and will send a summary when we have.  But it is obviously a massive victory.

Richard B. Katskee
Assistant Legal Director
Americans United for Separation of Church and State
518 C St., NE
Washington, DC  20002
Tel:   202-466-3234, x210
Fax:  202-466-2587
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.