I think that under strict scrutiny, that's an eminently
plausible result; and under a state RFRA it might even be the right
result, because if the legislature concludes that it doesn't adequately
serve its goals, it can correct that.  I wonder how hard it will be to
administer, but it's certainly worth experimenting with.  Yet, Alan, do
you think that it's right to read the Free Exercise Clause (federal or
state) as mandating this result?

        Eugene