Some of the other cases come out the other way, if I remember them
correctly.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 5:32 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Landmark First Amendment Religion Litigation?

        Well, I firmly endorse a secular norm of disliking Communism.
Nonetheless, unless I'm mistaken the Milivojevich Court held *in favor*
of the Yugoslav (and I take it Communist-influenced) hierarchy.  The
hierarchy tried to remove the American bishop; the Illinois Supreme
Court invalidated the removal "as 'arbitrary' because the proceedings
resulting in those actions were not conducted according to the Illinois
Supreme Court's interpretation of the Church's constitution and penal
code, and that the Diocesan reorganization was invalid because it was
beyond the scope of the Mother Church's authority to effectuate such
changes without Diocesan approval."  The Supreme Court reversed the
Illinois decision, and the Communist-influenced hierarchy won.  That
seems to suggest that the Court was following a norm of deference to the
hierarchical authorities, whether the heads were under the influence of
Communists or not.  Am I missing something here?