Marty: I think you should read the CCU decision and its facts a bit more
carefully. What is going on in Colorado does indeed amount to denominational
discrimination within the meaning of Larson. And the scholarship program is
indeed a Zelman-like private choice program.

  Unlike Davey, which did include pervasively sectarian colleges within the
program and excluded only devotional theology majors at any school, Colorado
allows scholarship funds to be used at some religious colleges but not at
others. Thus, there is no need for play in the joints between what the EC
permits and the FEC requires, because the EC forbids denominational
discrimination as the clearest command of the Clause.

  Rick Duncan

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  I've barely glanced at the decision, but from what I've quickly read, I don't
think it's fair to call what Colorado has done denominational discrimination,
notwithstanding what the court wrote. It's simply a prohibition on funding
religious education itself, of *any* denomination. "Pervasively sectarian"
schools are automatically ineligible not because they are of a particular
denomination, but because (by definition) the funds would *necessarily* fund
religious teaching ("indoctrination") in such schools.

It's not clear to me whether any of the aid programs at issue here are
Zelman-like voucher programs. They don't appear to be. But if any of them were,
the only question would be whether the logic of Locke v. Davey applies here (I
think it probably does).

If, instead, some of the aid programs at issue involve direct aid, as in
Mitchell v. Helms, then the aid itself cannot go to CCU *under the federal
Constitution,* because under the governing O'Connor opinion (and even under the
Thomas plurality), direct *financial* aid may not be used for inculcation of
religious truth.

From: Rick Duncan