-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 5:13 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: "But that's what it MEANS"

I agree with Mr. Linden to a certain extent -- that if an identifiable
group considers a term offensive, others should in general respect
their desire that it not be used.

But the word "proselityzation" does not identify a group in the same
way that Chrisitan, or Muslim, or Jew, or Hindu, or Black does.

To say "someone shared the spirit with me" is cryptic jargon known
only to those ina particular community that talks that way.

Steve

On 9/8/07, Will Linden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    Mr. Jamar claims the position that if a description conforms to
what he
> considers the "accurate" denotational meaning of words, we should
ignore
> connotations.
>
>      I can not buy this. Some people respond to complaints about
labelling
> "cults" by proclaiming what they say is an "accurate" and "objective"
> meaning of the word, and refuse to acknowledge the complete disconnect
> between their "accurate" "scientific" usage and the real world's use
of the
> word as a bogeyman label.
>
>       I doubt that Jamar would accept the "accuracy" criterion in
regard to
> the "fat Jewess" reference I cited.
>
>        As for something being an "accurate description of their
> behavior"..... precisely what I have been saying is that it is NOT
applied
> to people who engage in identical BEHAVIOR for causes which do not
fall in
> the "religion" box. From recent posts, I am sure that I would be
> indignantly "corrected" if I said that Hitchens, Dawkins and Sam
Harris are
> "proselytizing" for atheism; and similarly if I applied to people who
> engage in "face to face confrontations", even abuse ones, to demand
that I
> change my political and social views, my taste in music, or my choice
of
> leisure activities.
>
>          What about people who insist that "Jew" is ipso facto
"offensive",
> and insist on "Jewish person" instead? Perhaps Mr. Levinson would
enlighten
> us on this, and how it seems to have contributed to the brouhouha over
> Google search rankings and jewwatch.com

Prof. Steven Jamar
Howard University School of Law