Don't overlook the subversive nature of religion, any religion, as it tries
to wiggle its way into courts (so help me god, god save this honorable
court), loyalty oaths (one nation, under god) classroom prayers (to some
generic deity), laws (one man + one woman = marriage), and the drive through
windows of fast food joints (have a blessed day).

The very nature of religion is elitist, requiring adherents to think of
themselves as chosen or anointed by a deity; in some cases this manifests
itself as racism or overly nationalistic.  Both cases are non-productive for
humans, especially in this country where we spend an inordinate amount of
time in court trying to appease both sides.

Our Federal Constitution is godless (except for that one teeny little
generic reference at the end, cancelled by antiquity), and ALL laws --
federal, state, local -- should take that into consideration when
promulgated.  This "atmosphere" of godlessness is not atheism; it's for our
survival as a nation.  This atmosphere should translate into law as the
"reasonable non-adherent's" standard, thereby eliminating the need to filter
everything case, every issue, and every nuance of every argument thru the
prism of religion.

Large rocks with religious laws would never occupy space in public
buildings; religious jewelry and clothing wouldn't be an issue in the
workplace or school; think of the possibilities for the precious use of time
if we weren't all bothered with personal agendas and the resulting lawsuits.
Religion is protected under the Establishment Clause...what more could
anyone need (except, thankfully, the Supreme Court's wise inclusion of
non-religion in the same protection)?

Carol Moore
List Reader