Great question, Dan. And I actually gave some thought to Skokie when I
wrote my post. I would argue that the Skokie situation does not fit my
framework.  In Skokie, Jews (some of whom were concentration camp
survivors) were part of the general population of a community. They were
part of the public at large that the Nazis were addressing with their
march through the city's streets.  Holding a march expressing a racist
message down the main streets of a community with a significant black
population or holding a march expressing an anti-Semitic message in a
town where many Jews live  does not present a sufficiently focused
location/context/message to trigger my balancing analysis. Similarly, if
Phelps and his crowd hold a march through the main streets of a town
near a military base or pro-life protestors hold a march through a town
where many women have had an abortion, I don't think my balancing
analysis would apply either.

I think a protest adjacent to and during the burial service of a soldier
and a ring of protestors outside a clinic a patient is entering for
medical services can be distinguished from a march down the main public
streets of a community at a time of no particular significance that is
deeply offensive to many of the people who live in that community - even
if the town was selected as the site for the march precisely because of
the demographics of its population.  The message would be offensive to
the part of the community it insults wherever it was expressed. And I
don't think the feelings associated with "Not in my town" can be equated
with "Not at the burial service of my son."

Basically, I think a protest by Nazis outside the cemetery that disrupts
the burial services of concentration camp survivors is different than
the Nazis march through the main streets of Skokie. Do you disagree and
believe that there isn't any meaningful difference between these two
events for free speech purposes, Dan? (Needless to say, the Nazis are
fascist scum in either case, but that doesn't decide the constitutional
question.)

Alan Brownstein