In researching my story on such cases, I am highly disturbed by many of them
and find the whole notion that a judge may decide that it is better for a
religion to be raised in a religious environment than a non-religious one to
be constitutionally dubious. And I am frankly astonished at how rarely a
higher court prevents it, even in the most astonishing cases.

I came across one Mississippi case that involved both religion and
homosexuality that I find absolutely outrageous. The mother was awarded
custody over the father and the only two factors on which the father was
deemed to be worse than the mother was that he was homosexual (even though
the court noted that there was no effect on the close relationship between
father and son and noted that the father and his partner were always
discrete and didn't display any physical affection in his presence) and he
didn't take the child to church (the child was 14 and the father felt he
could decide on his own whether to go to church). On the other side, the
child was living with the mother and stepfather, who had a history of felony
assault and alcoholism. The stepfather had twice beaten the mother, both
times in front of the child, once the child had to call 911 to stop it. They
had been evicted from their apartment because of the stepfather's behavior.
This seems a pretty compelling reason for a change of custody, especially
when the only two bases for any negative conclusions about the father are
highly dubious and based on prejudice rather than reason.

As to this specific case, there was one similar in Indiana in 2005, where a
Wiccan couple that was divorcing were forbidden from teaching about Wicca to
their son. Both parents wanted him taught about their religion, but they
sent him to a private Catholic school and the judge said that doing so would
confuse him. That's one of the rare cases where such a ruling was
overturned, thankfully, by the Indiana court of appeals.

I'm really surprised that this issue has generated so little discussion on
this list since I originally posted about it.

Ed Brayton