As always, Eugene finds the telling counter-example.

I would argue (just a little shamefacedly) that in America race is almost
always a special case that requires the utmost delicacy in scrutiny. The
14th amendment constrains to some extent what state court judges can do
through their orders, and fostering discrimination against racial minorities
is something states may not generally do (assuming that issuing such an
order fosters discrimination). However, since the criterion in question is
injury to the child, if the consensus of psychological evidence is that
exposure to a multi-racial environment through unmediated contact with a
non-custodial parent will cause psychological injury, then that may be a
countervailing consideration of such compelling force that might justify
some measure of restriction.

At a practical level, of course, what parent would come out in open court
and say "we're racists here, you can't let my child consort with other
races"?

Opening the door that little crack does, naturally, give every other
lifestyle interest group a chance to argue that their case is just like
race. It's a temptation worth resisting, though, if we really care about the
psychological well-being of small children *in those rare cases* where
injury might result. The fact that the social viewpoints that custodial
parents are trying to vindicate are so often religious in origin actually
does help resolving the matter, because religion is protected activity
almost irrespective of the content of its beliefs (there seems to be a de
facto exception for Christian Scientists). When this is added to the
psychological factors, the balance may tip sooner in the custodial parent's
favor.

All this said, I still don't think that religiosity *as such* is the
principal point; the child's psyche is the principal point and courts should
evaluate claims strictly on that basis.

Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]