There is no doubt that the situation in Europe is not good, but I hope that I
can add some clarity.

Two European States have established Churches; the United Kingdom and Greece
which grants privileges to these bodies.  Other European States have recognised
religious entities which are funded; France has a clear division.  There is no
uniform system.

The Blair government unleased a wave of legislation hostile to Judeo Christian
principles (same sex marriage, hostility to Christian speech, gender issues)
and he has triggered  a US style 'culture wars' in the United Kingdom.  There
is now considerable litigation on similar issues to first Amendment cases.  The
arrested Christian preachers will sue the Police for violation of their freedom
of expression (Article 10) and freedom of religious expression (Article 9).

The tensions in the United Kingdom with the Muslim minority are as tense as I
have ever seen, primarily due to threats of violence from Islamists.

On a legal point:
The European Court has dealt with questions of access by (non established)
religious associations to resources on a basis of non-discrimination. Religious
associations cannot  insist that the State establishes a system for the
collection and distribution of tax from members to religious associations (as
in Germany, Sweden and Austria). But if it chooses to do so, such a system must
be non-discriminatory.[1] This is not incompatible with differential
distributions of financial resources, so long as such differences reflect
'neutral' criteria such as the civil functions of a state church. Such civil
functions might be the conduct of marriages and burials, the maintenance of
buildings of historic value or the keeping of ancient public records.[2] The
extent of general contributions to the association for these functions must be
proportionate to their actual cost.

Ironically, the Anglican Church has a public function is marriage and is
subject to Constiutional/ Convention law (arguably) in this function.

Paul Diamond, barrister

[1] Iglesia Bautista El Salvador v Spain No. 17522/90 72 DR 256.

[2] Bruno v Sweden No. 32196/96; Lundberg v Sweden No. 36846/97