On Jul 31, 2008, at Thu, Jul 31,  2:57 PM, Volokh, Eugene wrote:

>       Well, I do think that the relatively small amount at issue in
> the case -- and the great deal of effort he must have devoted -- is
> some
> evidence of sincerity.  Cf. the court's statement that "Similarly,
> before this court, Mr. Sherrod stated in oral argument that only
> one of
> the issues he raised in his brief is of importance to him, i.e., that
> the particular means chosen by the Department to enforce his
> obligation
> violates his religious beliefs.  Mr. Sherrod declared that he believes
> that parents have an obligation to support their children, that
> appropriate legislation to enforce that duty of support in appropriate
> cases is warranted, and that the only reason he has chosen to appeal a
> judicial decision involving a relatively small sum of money is that
> his
> conscience requires it."

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you, Eugene.  Amount of
money spent avoiding child support often exceeds the amount owed, for
the stated reason that fathers vindictively withhold funds in order
to punish the estranged ex-spouse.  I think this is the case here.
Spite is a powerful motivator, IMO.  He just doesn't have the guts to
own his spitefulness. This is further born out by the fact that he
neglected his financial responsibility until he was told to pay child
support.

>       But in any case, if the legal question is sincerity, there would
> have be to an evidentiary hearing, and if the trial judge is unwilling
> to conclude that Mr. Sherrod is insincere, then the sincerity question
> would be decided in Mr. Sherrod's favor, and our views and the
> appellate
> judges' views would be irrelevant.
>
>       As to the rest of the argument below, I don't think it can work
> under Thomas v. Employment Division.  It is not for a court to decide
> what's the best reading of Revelations, or whether the federal statute
> indeed sufficiently bears the mark of the beast, or whether "mark
> of the
> beast" should be read literally -- just as it's not for a court to
> decide whether someone who refuses to eat meat and milk is properly
> interpreting "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk," or
> whether someone who refuses to work on tank turrets is properly
> interpreting his religion's commands of pacifism (that's the Thomas
> case
> itself).  The question is whether Sherrod's religious belief is
> sincere,
> not whether it's a sensible interpretation of the Bible.

Yes, I suppose that is a valid reason.  In that case, sincerity
shouldn't matter either, should it?  The law is the law, regardless
of the sequential number assigned to it.  Moral obligation to uphold
the law (in this case pay child support, and of course the moral
obligation to pay child support as well) should over ride religious
sincerity.  In short, do the right and legal thing even if it is to
an "agent/agency of Satan".