From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 8/4/2008 12:10 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics; Law & Religion issues for Law
Academics
Subject: Conflicts between religious exefcise and gay rights

I tend to agree with Alan here.  Of course there are occasional conflicts
between gay rights laws and religious beliefs -- principally in the commercial
sector, such as in employment and housing rentals -- but is it really that much
of a problem?  Or is it a relatively infrequent phenomenon that's being
exploited as a cudgel against gay rights?  (A sincere question -- I really am
uncertain of the answer.)

I'm confident -- given that Doug and Anthony edited it -- that the new volume
will be very worthwhile, fair and balanced.  But I have some trepidation that
it, and similar endeavors, will unnecessarily add fuel to this fire.   Same-sex
*marriage* implicates religious liberty?  How so?  It's not as if religious
congregations will soon be compelled to offer membership to gay and lesbian
couples, right?  Or that ministers will be legally required to perform same-sex
ceremonies.

Of course, many people are deeply uncomfortable with same-sex marriage, and
such discomfort often derives from (or finds sustenance in) certain religious
moral codes.  But that's not the same as a threat to religious liberty, is it?

I suppose this is one way of framing my doubts here:  Is this very different
from the religiously motivated resistance when race- and sex-discrimination
norms began to find favor in the law?  Twenty years from now, will today's
religiously oriented opposition to gay rights seem as distant and odd to the
ReligionLaw list of 2028 (still administered by Eugene, one can hope!) as the
1960's resistance to race-and sex-discrimination laws looks to us now?

From: "Brownstein, Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>