Bloody communists out to destroy Christianity in America!

Ed Brayton

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of aa...@aol.com
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 6:48 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: ACLU of NJ Fights For Christian Inmate's Right to Preach

FYI, the latest addition to my website: ACLU Fights for Christians
<http://aclufightsforchristians.com>

Allen Asch

Release taken from
http://www.aclu-nj.org/news/acluprotectsprisonersrelig.htm

ACLU Protects Prisoner's Religious Liberty

For Immediate Release

December 3, 2008

State Prison Officials Prevent Ordained Pentecostal Minister from Preaching

TRENTON, NJ - The American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU of New Jersey
today filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a New Jersey prisoner, an
ordained Pentecostal minister, who is asking the state to respect his
religious freedom by restoring his right to preach.

Howard Thompson Jr. had preached at weekly worship services at the New
Jersey State Prison (NJSP) for more than a decade when prison officials last
year issued, without any reason, a blanket ban on all preaching by inmates,
even when done under the direct supervision of prison staff.

"Ours is a country where people are free to express their religious
viewpoints without having to fear repercussions," said Edward Barocas, Legal
Director of the ACLU of New Jersey. "The New Jersey State Prison may not
deny its prisoners their most basic constitutional rights."

Since he entered NJSP in 1986, Thompson has been an active member of the
prison's Christian community, participating in and preaching at Sunday
services and other religious events, teaching Bible study classes and
founding the choir. His preaching has never caused any security incidents,
and the prison's chaplaincy staff has actively supported Thompson and
encouraged him to spread his deeply held message of faith.

But in June 2007, prison officials banned all prisoners from engaging in
preaching of any kind, without any warning or justification -- which they
still have not given.

"I have a religious calling to minister to my fellow inmates, and I've done
so honestly, effectively and without incident for years," Thompson said.
"All I want is to have my religious liberty restored and to be able to
continue working with men who want to renew their lives through the study
and practice of their faith."

According to the lawsuit, which names NJSP Administrator Michelle R. Ricci
and New Jersey Department of Corrections Commissioner George W. Hayman as
defendants, Thompson first preached a service at NJSP over a decade ago,
when he relieved the former Protestant chaplain, who had been unable to lead
a scheduled service due to illness.

During the next decade, before he was ordained as a Pentecostal minister,
Thompson periodically preached at Sunday services, taught Bible study
classes and participated in and led the prison choir he founded. During
these years, Thompson received his call to ordained ministry and to
preaching and leading others in worship, study, and prayer.

"Prisoners do not forfeit their fundamental right to religious liberty at
the prison gate," said Daniel Mach, Director of Litigation for the ACLU
Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief. "The prison's absolute ban on
inmate preaching clearly violates the law and Mr. Thompson's right to
practice his faith."

Thompson, ordained in October 2000 during a service at NJSP overseen by the
prison's chaplain, sincerely believes it is his religious calling and
obligation to preach his Pentecostal faith and is willing to do so under the
full supervision of NJSP staff.

This lawsuit is the latest in a long line of ACLU cases defending the
fundamental right to religious exercise, a complete list of
<http://www.aclu-nj.org/news/www.aclu.org/defendingreligion.htm>  which is
available online.

In 2007, the ACLU of Rhode Island prevailed in a lawsuit challenging a
similar restriction on prisoner preaching, successfully overturning a
statewide ban and restoring the plaintiff prisoner's right to preach during
weekly Christian services.

Read Howard Thompson's complaint
<http://www.aclu-nj.org/news/www.aclu.org/prison/restrict/37953lgl20081120.h
tml.htm>  and preliminary
<http://www.aclu-nj.org/news/www.aclu.org/prison/restrict/37954lgl20081203.h
tml.htm>  injunction brief online.

Learn about the ACLU Program on
<http://www.aclu-nj.org/news/www.aclu.org/religion.htm>  the Freedom of
Religion and Belief and the ACLU-NJ
<http://www.aclu-nj.org/news/www.aclu-nj.org.htm>  online.

  _____

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in
one place. Try
<http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000
010>  it now.