Although I'm not claiming the school was correct in this instance, there is
a context to the case that the ADF press release completely leaves out. I used
 to be surprised at the dishonesty of these ADF press releases, but now I see
 them as puzzles where the challenge is to find the actual facts. From this
press  release, for example, you'd never know that the ACLU  successfully
challenged several practices in this school  district that violated the
Establishment Clause. The closest the press release  comes to revealing that
information
is the two sentence paragraph:

"The American Civil Liberties Union previously sued the school to stop it
from recognizing such events, including “See You at the Pole” and the National
Day of Prayer. In May 2008, _a federal judge  refused to grant the ACLU’s
request_ (http://www.telladf.org/news/pressrelease.aspx?cid=4538) ."

Now, if you follow that link, it leads to _an ADF page_
(http://www.telladf.org/news/pressrelease.aspx?cid=4538)   that, again, never
mentions the school's
Establishment Clause violations and  describes the May 2008 result like this:
"“This is a win for religious freedom  and, if not a total loss for the ACLU,
certainly a hollow, shallow victory."  Even worse, that ADF page provides _a
link to the ACLU  complaint that starts on page 19_
(www.telladf.org/UserDocs/WilsonReliefRequest.pdf) , again cutting out the most
pertinent  facts.
Similarly, _the link to  the judge's decision_
(www.telladf.org/UserDocs/WilsonOrder.pdf)  on that page leads to another ADF
page that includes  only the order,
cutting out the memorandum describing in detail the school's  Establishment
Clause violations.

The full judge's decision is included in the May 30, 2008, ACLU press
release on the Wilson County case at:

_http://www.aclu.org/religion/schools/35742prs20080530.html_
(http://www.aclu.org/religion/schools/35742prs20080530.html)

Here are five pertinent paragraphs:

****************
The lawsuit, Doe v. Wilson County School  System, filed by the American Civil
Liberties Union of Tennessee (ACLU-TN)  charged that a variety of religious
activities occurring at Lakeview Elementary  School in Mt. Juliet, including
praying during school hours by a group of  parents who then distributed fliers
in classrooms informing individual students  they had been prayed for, were
unconstitutional.

"In a strongly worded 59-page decision, the  Judge ruled that school
officials were engaged in a systematic pattern of  religious violations and
that the
school supported and tolerated religious  activities taking place on its
campus," said Hedy Weinberg, ACLU-TN Executive  Director.
After nearly two years of litigation, the Court  ruled that Lakeview
Elementary School administrators can not continue to give  preferential
treatment to a
religious group called the Praying Parents.  In  the past, this religious
group was given nearly unfettered access to students  and faculty to promote
Christianity and prayer.  In finding that these  activities violated the First
Amendment, the Court found that the effect of the  group's predominant
religious
purpose was to advance Christianity at  Lakeview.
The school administration apparently agreed with  the group's purpose and
activities and did not properly monitor and supervise  their activities on
school
property, and, by allowing these activities, the  school tacitly or overtly
endorsed the group's activities.  By doing so the  school became excessively
entangled with the group's religious activities, and  abandoned the school's
constitutional obligation to maintain strict neutrality  toward religion.
The Court issued an injunction preventing any  group from being given
preferential treatment and ordering that all individuals  and groups requesting
access to the school request permission and be treated  equally. The Court also
admonished the school for allowing teachers and  administrators to be active
participants in religious activities at the school,  for displaying the Ten
Commandments in the school hallway and for allowing the  distribution of
Gideon's
Bibles to students.

****************
One reason I've been such a loyal member of the ACLU for so long is because
I've always been impressed with the way the ACLU sticks to its principles  and
sticks to the truth. I've seen occasional errors in ACLU press  releases, but
never the dishonesty with the facts that I  habitually find in these ADF
ones. Ironically, this press release includes  an accusation about "the ACLU’s
long-term record of fear, intimidation, and  disinformation." What a big lie!

Allen Asch
(full disclosure: although I am speaking only for myself, I currently serve
on the board of the ACLU of Northern California)

In a message dated 3/3/2009 4:39:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,