Actually, I raised Rick's question in class today.  Not with respect to Summum,
which we haven't gotten to yet, but with respect to the difference between the
remedy in Barnette and the remedy in Engel and Schempp.  Students pretty
quickly decided that government couldn't govern if it couldn't try to influence
public opinion on political issues.  Political issues require a collective
decision; we debate and lobby and hold elections and eventually, the people or
their elected representatives vote.

There is no need for a collective decision on religion.  We don't have to vote
to determine what religion we are; we can be a lot of different religions.
Election campaigns and voting about what religion we really are would be a
wholly unnecessary source of conflict.  And letting the self-presumed majority,
or noisiest minority, seize control of the government's religion without a vote
is no better.

We protect individual liberty by maximizing individual choice, and with respect
to religion, there is no reason to limit individual choice even to the extent
of permitting government persuasion -- or government propaganda.

Quoting Rick Duncan <nebraskalawp...@yahoo.com>:

> I appreciate Alan's many good points about the EC. Of course, we all
> discuss all of these points when we cover the EC in our classes.
>
> My post about Alito's opinion in Summam--in which he describes the
> government's ability to choose its own message and its own viewpoints
> as essential to the conduct of government--and then says oh, but
> religious speech by government is different, raises a different issue
> which I think also deserves discussion in the classroom.
>
> Certainly, religious equality is important, but so is cultural
> equality and political equality.
>
> Imagine two passive displays in a public school--one is a nativity
> scene recognizing the fact that many in the community are celebrating
> Christmas, and the other is a gay pride display which says "support
> gay equality and stop homophobia."
>
> Both of these displays are challenged by students who find them
> offensive--the nativity display by  student A who is offended by the
> schools "endorsement of religion" and the gay pride display by
> student B, a conservative Christian who is offended by the school's
> endorsement of the message that his religious belief about human
> sexuality is wrong and must be "stopped."
>
> Many of you would agree with Justice Alito that the government has a
> right to take a position denouncing "homophobia" and that we would
> deny an essential part of government's power if we allow student B a
> heckler's veto enjoining the government's right to express its
> message. So long as the government does not coerce student B into
> affirming his support for the government's viewpoint, his remedy is
> to avert his eye rather than to silence the government and those who
> wish to receive the government's message about gay rights.
>
> But not so with student A and his objection to the Christmas display.
> Even though his liberty is in no way deprived by a passive display
> recognizing a religious holiday being celebrated by many in the
> community, he has the right to censor government speech endorsing
> religion. Suddenly, government speech is not so essential and is
> subject to a heckler's veto by anyone who takes offense.
>
> If Alito is right and the essence of government is to speak out and
> take the viewpoints of its choice on issues that come up in the
> marketplace of ideas, why should the EC be interpreted as protecting
> a non-liberty interest of hecklers to censor religious viewpoints
> expressed by state and local governments?
>
> Because student A feels like an outsider as a result of the state's
> nativity display? But doesn't student B, the religious "homophobe,"
> feel even more like an unwanted outsider when the state endorse the
> gay pride display and the message that "homophobia" such as his
> religious beliefs must be stopped?
>
> We all cover the issues Alan raises. But I suspect many of us do not
> point out the contrast between those offended by the government's
> secular speech and those offended by the government's religious
> [...]

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215
  734-647-9713