From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Scarberry, Mark
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:27 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Government Religious Displays and Substantive Neutrality

Given Doug's criticism of my earlier post (which undoubtedly means I did not
give the matter enough thought before posting and need to clarify or revise my
post), I'm reluctant to reengage so soon, but it is worth noting that parts of
Alan's analysis would apply even with respect to nonreligious speech (e.g.,
Rick's examples of secular messages that are offensive to some). If the govt
decided to allow one group with a focus on a particular subject (e.g., global
warming) and one viewpoint (law must severely limit carbon dioxide emissions)
exclusive use of a portion of a park for expressive purposes--while still
maintaining its character as a part of a public park--I think there would be a
free speech violation, with speech in a traditional public forum being
regulated on the basis of content and even viewpoint. If Alan's analogy holds,
then allowing adoption of a secular message on a govt monument would also
violate the First Am. I suppose that would make war memorials that honor the
fallen violative of the First Am (at least absent an equal opportunity for
placement of dissenting monuments). I presume that means something does not
work with the analogy.

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law