From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:39 AM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: RE: Americans United: Iowa
SupremeCourtRulingOnMarriageUpholdsReligious Liberty, Says Americans United

I do.  Referring him to another counselor is clearly the best solution in
terms of policy, and legally, the atheist should have the same protection as
the believer.  They are both acting on a matter of conscience arising out of
their views about religion.

Quoting Steve Sanders <steve...@umich.edu>:

> Let's say a student comes to a counselor in the same university clinical
> program and wants help understanding how religion might him better deal
with
> his personal problems.  The counselor is an atheist and believes as a
matter
> of conscience that religion does not play a valid role in helping people
> deal with their problems.  The counselor refers the student to another
> counselor.
>
> I predict that the Alliance Defense Fund would sue the school claiming
that
> its counseling program was attempting to impose a certain (derogatory)
view
> about religion, much as ADF recently (successfully) sued a university
based
> on commentary about religious views toward homosexuality that appeared in
> student-created literature in the school's Safe Zone program.
>
> Do Rick and Doug agree that such a suit would be silly and that the
> common-sense, live-and-let-live ethic also ought to prevail in such a
case?

> _____________________________________
>

> Steve Sanders
>

>  <http://www.mayerbrown.com/lawyers/profile.asp?hubbardid=S597744167>
> Attorney, Supreme Court and appellate litigation practice group, Mayer
Brown
> LLP, Chicago
>
> Co-editor,  <http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/lgbtlaw/> Sexual Orientation
> and the Law Blog
>
> Adjunct faculty, University of Michigan Law School (Winter term 2010)
>
> Email:  <mailto:steve...@umich.edu> steve...@umich.edu
>
> Personal home page:  <http://www.stevesanders.net/> www.stevesanders.net
>

>   _____

Michigan