From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Mon Jun 22 23:49:38 2009
Subject: Re: still waiting for concrete examples

This e-mail reveals a very important fact.  A new chief arrived who said rules
are rules and no exceptions.  This is a very common story -- exemptions are
granted and cause no problems, the institution functions just fine and its
employees, students, clients, whatever, can practice their religion.  Then a
new administrator comes in and says screw this crap about exception; there
aren't going to be any exceptions.

That's the story here. That's the story in Mozert v. Hawkins County Board of
Ed.  That's the story in the case of the kid at the University of Nebraska who
didn't want to live in the dorm.  I don't remember for sure, but I think that
was the case in Swanson in the 10th Circuit, where a home schooler wanted to
take a course or too at the the school.

Quoting artspit...@aol.com:

>> Marci asks:   Why [didn't the Fire Dep't] just give up and let everyone
>> wear a beard?
>>
> Because (a) that would mean admitting they were wrong, and (b) a Fire Dep't
> is a paramilitary organization and the two new chiefs from out of town who
> imposed this policy think beards look scuzzy -- the new chief who first
> imposed this "safety" policy simultaneously banned dreadlocks and religious
> headcoverings, with no plausible safety rationale.
>
> To give the Department more credit (perhaps more than due), it's following
> a policy of erring on the side of safety.   But for RFRA, that policy would
> apply to all firefighters.   Under RFRA, the Department  should have thought
> seriously about whether it could accommodate a few beards.   But the Fire
> Chief's attitude was "orders are orders."   Much as Judge Robertson
> apparently doesn't like RFRA, he took his responsibility more
> seriously and found
> that in a department with hundreds of firefighters, of course a few could be
> accommodated, even assuming that without accommodation their safety would be
> compromised in the rare hypothetical situation (it's never yet occurred)
> posited by the Department.
>
> I was puzzled by the Judge's complaint about RFRA.   It may have its
> problems, but the fact that it "imposes upon the courts of the United
> States the
> duty of 'striking sensible balances between
> ...   competing ... interests,'? is hardly a legitimate ground for
> complaint.   Judges strike (hopefully) sensible balances between
> competing interests
> every time they sit in equity.
>
> Art S.
>

> In a message dated 6/22/09 9:09:42 PM, hamilto...@aol.com writes:
>

>> Art--  We may only be talking to each other at this point, but the facts
>> matter in these cases.  So why do you think DC moved to an across-the-board
>> rule regarding beards and why does the rule appear in fire companies
>> across the country?  If it was all a pretext, why not just give up and let
>> everyone wear a beard?
>>

>>  In a message dated 6/22/2009 9:03:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>> artspit...@aol.com writes:
>>
>>  In a message dated 6/22/09 1:31:13 PM, Hamilton02 writes:
>>

>> I have to ask Art one question--  It seems quite clear from the record
>> that there really is a danger to those with facial hair in responding to
>> emergencies....
>>

>> Those not interested in the minutiae of the case can press delete now.
>> I've pasted below a short (500 word) excerpt on safety from my opposition to
>> the Fire Department's petition for rehearing.  The petition was denied.
>>
>> Art
>>
>> III.     This Case Does Not Present a Serious Issue of Public Safety.
>>
>>      The District urges the Court to apply a ?particularly strong?
>> preference for resolving this case on the merits, because ?public
>> safety is at
> [...]

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215