I don't see what Belmont Abbey's status under one statute necessarily has to
do with its status under another, especially one as general as RFRA. What I
think you are obliquely saying is that Belmont Abbey is not a "person" under
RFRA, on the grounds that RFRA doesn't apply to institutional "persons"
unless some context--determinable with reference to some other law--suggests
that it might be. That's a fair enough argument, which I think others on
this list can address better than I can based on the RFRA case law, but in
any event it should be addressed on its own merits. I also take your point
about Belmont Abbey's other conduct being potentially inconsistent with its
position on its insurance benefit (though I don't think the notion that
paying its employees fungible money constitutes a concession to their
ability to obtain contraception carries much weight).
Vance

Vance R. Koven
Boston, MA USA
vrko...@world.std.com