I can't figure out exactly why religious groups deserve to be treated
differently from, say, the young Democrats or Republicans or the Sierra Club.
The Constitution says not that we have to treat religion differently, but,
rather, that we have to keep engaging in an endless conversation about the
interplay of religion and state.  Sometimes that might require "different"
treatment, as in accommodating people who are unwilling to work on Saturday.
Note, though, that the Court, rightly or wrongly, refused to extend the
"conscientious objector" accommodation to a serious Catholic who was opposed
only to the Vietnam War (on "just war" grounds).  Nor, of course, was the Court
generous to Native Americans either in Lyng or Smith, both of which, I have to
say, seemed more appealing, on their facts, than the CLS case. But none of
these cases really involved the "freedom of association" arguments that are
really at the heart of the argument.

Am I correct, incidentally, that the principle being advocated for would allow
any religious society to restrict its leadership to males if it had a religious
principle that only men were fit for such roles?  Judge (now Professor)
McConnell seemed to emphasize the belief-status distinction in his argument,
but I'm not sure I understand it when the justification for status
discrimination is a sincere (and quite traditional, often) religious belief.
The argument that "we, as a society" have decided that race and sex/gender are
just different from other categories of differentiation certainly can't hold,
at least for the latter, since I'm confident that McConnell (and, I suspect,
almost everybody on this list) would not allow a Title VII-like action against
the Catholic Church or Orthodox Judaism or even strip those religions of their
tax exemption because of their blatant sexism.

Having read the oral argument, incidentally, I do wonder if there will be an
effort simply to dismiss it as improvidently granted, given that most of the
time seemed to have been spent on trying to figure out what exactly were the
facts and the relationship between various stipulations and "written policies"
of the Law School.

sandy