From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Will Esser
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 4:05 PM
To: Religion Law
Subject: Perry v. Schwarzenegger - Effect of Religious Beliefs

In the district court's recent opinion regarding the constitutionality of
Proposition 8, Judge Walker included the following as Finding of Fact #77
(page 103 of the opinion):

"Religious beliefs that gay and lesbian relationships are sinful or inferior
to heterosexual relationships harm gays and lesbians."

I am troubled by the fact that Judge Walker's finding is tied to religious
"beliefs" rather than simply talking about discriminatory"actions" (which
can presumably be dealt with by appropriately drafted non-discrimination
laws and which may be caused by either religious or non-religious beliefs).
A finding that religious beliefs themselves "harm" other people
(particularly a particular class of people which Judge Walker concludes are
entitled to strict scrutiny review as "the type of minority strict scrutiny
was designed to protect") strikes me as a conclusion that could lead to
problematic First Amendment issues related to both freedom of religion and
speech.

Others thoughts on this particular finding?

Will

Will Esser --- Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Charlotte, North Carolina