I'm inclined to think that Eugene's original post (no standing, no ripeness) is
spot-on in this case.  Maybe there is an argument that anyone who resides in
Oklahoma has "frequent regular contact" with any principle in the Oklahoma
Constitution, but I wouldn't buy it. (How would we distinguish this case from
any other objection, based on insult, disparagement, or offense, to a
constitutional provision?  Perhaps standing would be OK in any such case --
suppose the voters declared the state to be a White Supremacist state?)
I think the deeper problem here -- and the reason why we have so many anomalous
standing doctrines in Establishment Clause law, like taxpayer standing and
observer standing  -- is that the Clause primarily stands for a polity
principle, and not a rights-based principle.  So, for example, if Oklahoma
voters had approved a provision declaring the state to have a Christian
identity, we'd all know that the incorporated Establishment Clause had been
violated, but we'd have the same trouble finding a proper plaintiff (one who
satisfied Art. III standards) to challenge it in a federal court.

Perhaps the Oklahoma state courts would be a more legally hospitable forum
(though we would of course want to know more about re-elections or recall
elections for state court judges in Oklahoma).

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053