http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101214/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_muslim_teacher

According to the Associate Press:

The federal government sued a suburban Chicago school district Monday for
denying a Muslim middle school teacher unpaid leave to make a pilgrimage to
Mecca that is a central part of her religion.
In a civil rights case, the department said the school district in Berkeley,
Ill., denied the request of Safoorah Khan on grounds that her requested
leave was unrelated to her professional duties and was not set forth in the
contract between the school district and the teachers union. In doing so the
school district violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by failing to
reasonably accommodate her religious practices, the government said.

If I understand current precedent under Employment Division v. Smith, I'd
think the District's defense should be fairly simple.  The requirement that
leave be related to professional duties and/or set forth in the contract
with the union is a generally-applicable requirement that is neutral on its
face.  Am I missing something?

As a point of disclosure, I'm not a fan of the Court's decision in Smith,
and if this case were to ultimately force the court to re-think that
precedent, I'd be happy to see it happen.  Under the present rulings in
place, though, I'm not sure if the teacher has a case, regardless of whether
or not she should have one.

Brad Pardee