From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Brownstein, Alan
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 1:35 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: No religious advertisements on municipal buses

I saw a newspaper story a few days ago (I'm sorry, but I don't recall all the
details) reporting that a city prohibited all religious advertising on buses
because people were annoyed with advertisements expressing a message by
Atheists suggesting that there is no G-d. Wouldn't that regulation constitute
unconstitutional viewpoint discrimination under Rosenberger and Good News Club?
I have serious problems with some of the Court's decisions that characterize
discrimination against religious expressive activities as viewpoint
discrimination. But if that's the rule, it would certainly seem to apply in
this case as well.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis School of Law