It seems there are a number of discrete issues involved.

1.  Can an arbitration agreement require that sharia be applied under a choice
of law provision -- it would seem so to me.  Some seem to see entanglement.
2.  Can an arbitration agreement require that arbitrators be knowledgeable
about the underlying law, in this instance, sharia.  Again, it seems so to me
-- some have problems with it that I don't fully understand.
3.  Can an arbitration agreement require the appointment of people of a certain
faith to arbitrate the dispute under the contract within that faith?  Again, I
see no problem, but I do understand the equal protection and establishment
concerns, though they seem to not be significant to me under a contract which
the parties agree is to be arbitrated according to a set of rules and they want
to have certain qualifications (including religious ones) for the arbitration.
4.  Can an arbitration agreement which were to be drafted in the U.S. as part
of  a U.S. commercial transaction or consumer transaction include a provision
that requires the arbitrators to be of a certain faith in arbitrating an
ordinary commercial or consumer dispute where both parties want those
particular characteristics for the arbitrators (we're not talking contracts of
adhesion here or regulated industries or commercial banks, etc.).  Why not?
5.  Can the Bank of America or a securities firm or VISA cc or any such impose
such a condition --  the arbitrators must be of a certain faith?  No.  Because
these are contracts of adhesion and affect too many people and are too
standard, etc.  In this circumstance the public interest in non-discrimination
on the basis of religion would trump.
6.  Can the same sort of companies as in 5 enter into contracts with negotiated
arbitration agreements under which the consumer or borrower or investor is the
one who insists on the custom arbitration clause and the sharia law interpreted
by Saudi Muslims?  Why not?  Where is the societal interest in not treating
these contracts as enforceable?

The court is not getting into any religious issues or religious laws.  It is
just following the contract in terms of the qualifications of the arbitrators
as agreed upon by the parties -- and there is nothing insidious or invidious
about it.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Associate Director, Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice

"For all men of good will May 17, 1954, came as a joyous daybreak to end the
long night of enforced segregation. . . . It served to transform the fatigue of
despair into the buoyancy of hope."

Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1960 on Brown v. Board of Education