The separation of powers defects are well-covered in the majority opinion as
well.

From: "Volokh, Eugene" <vol...@law.ucla.edu>
Sender: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:48:25
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics<religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: RE: A John Paul Stevens Puzzle

        I'm puzzled by the statement that "RFRA was not ... held
unconstitutional solely on federalism grounds" -- as I understand the majority
opinion, it cited only the federalism objections to RFRA, and not the
Establishment Clause.  (Justice Stevens' solo concurrence mentioned the
Establishment Clause, but the five other Justices in the majority didn't
endorse that opinion.)

        Well, but at least following Cutter v. Wilkinson, doesn't it seem
pretty likely that the RFRA is indeed actually constitutional against the
federal government, just as RLUIPA was indeed upheld?