From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Sanford Levinson
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:40 PM
To: 'religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu'
Subject: Re: "Settlement or extortion?" and antidiscrimination law (and tort
law) more generally

Art is certainly on to something, but I would emphasize the extreme
unlikelihood that most Texas communities would make the same settlement if the
plaintiff had put a pro-choice message on his/her desk. To put it mildly,
"neutral principles" does not seem to be the mantra of most Texas politicos. (I
write as someone who helped the ACLU get $8000 in attorney fees for my pro bono
defense of the Klan in a standard access-to-march case that the City of Austin
chose to litigate.)

Sandy