Thanks, Howard.  Is there something in the SG's brief that suggests that
it thinks there would be a ministerial exception to the
anti-discrimination provisions, but not the anti-retaliation provisions?
I may have missed it.  The idea is interesting, but I have trouble seeing
why the ministerial exception would apply to one but not the other.  You
say that there may be less risk of erroneous determination of motive in
retaliation cases.  Maybe you could explain further, I'm not sure I know
what you mean.  In both discrimination and retaliation cases, courts use
the McDonnell Douglas burden-shifting scheme, where juries pass on the
church's alleged nondiscriminatory reasons in deciding the existence of
discrimination or retaliation.  Won't the problematic considerations of
job performance (i.e., did the plaintiff-who, by hypothesis, had
significant religious duties-do those religious duties well or not?) enter
equally into both sets of cases?

As for the reasons for the ministerial exception, part of it is surely
about erroneous determination of motive.  And part is about reinstatement.
But I think there's something else too.  Religion is supposed to be this
voluntary thing.  We can all think of how this is true for religious
beliefs and practices-we see it everywhere from Torcaso v. Watkins to
Santa Fe v. Doe.  But it's true too for religious associations, which
should be chosen by people and not imposed by the state.   The ministerial
exception is part of that voluntary principle.  By creating a kind of
constitutionalized at-will employment, it guarantees that when
congregations and clergy stay together, it's because they choose to do so.
Now I don't know if it will survive, but I think that's a big part of why
the ministerial exception has persisted all these years.

Best,

Chris