Thanks for the explanation.  I'm wondering what the argument would be  to
make property
tax exemption constitutionally required.  There is a growing movement
against such tax
breaks, which is supported by the economic situation of many local
governments, so I
would expect there will be an increasing number of political and court
fights over the issue.

Marci A.  Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of  Law
Yeshiva University
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY  10003
215-353-8984

In a message dated 11/6/2011 8:01:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,