One would need to see the criteria for general access to the room.  I would
assume UNC would seek to limit it to "meditative" activities, which may
exclude other meetings (which, no doubt, can take place in other rooms in
the Union).  Provided meditative is defined broadly and inclusively, and
UNC has a permissive policy for other uses in other rooms, then it seems
like a neutral policy (using the Court's rationale in Zelman by comparing
the vouchers to other choice programs).

I would also argue that Muslim students have a stronger argument for a
religious accommodation based on their specific religious obligation, which
the university can use as part of its rationale for an inclusive
meditative-use room.

--
Steven K. Green, J.D., Ph.D.
Fred H. Paulus Professor of Law and Director