From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:25 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Laws with exceptions as triggering strict scrutiny -- and as
failing strict scrutiny because of their underinclusiveness?

                Setting aside Smith's exception for Sherbert, and setting
aside the argument that South Carolina law's protection of Sunday
observers discriminated against Saturday observers, I would agree with the
dissent in Sherbert.  That unemployment compensation law has a "good
cause" exemption, under which some secular causes are treated as
sufficient but many as insufficient, doesn't mean that religious causes
should be treated as well as the favored secular causes.

By analogy, as I mentioned, murder law has an exception for "adequate
provocation" (which reduces the charge to manslaughter).  Copyright law
has an exception for "fair use."  The duty to testify has an exemption for
those privileges that courts create in light of experience and reason, as
well as the Rule 403 free-form admissibility balancing.  Title VII has an
exception for "bona fide occupational qualifications."  In many states,
many criminal laws have a free-form "lesser evil" defense.  Trespass law
has a "private necessity" defense.  Nuisance law in many jurisdictions
involves pretty free-form balancing, as does negligence law.  It doesn't
follow, I think, that claims for religious exemptions - entitlement to a
manslaughter defense when the provocation is blasphemy, entitlement to use
others' copyrighted works for any religious reasons, the right to refuse
to testify when one thinks testimony would be religiously wrong, the right
not to hire women when one's religion so calls, the right to escape
criminal liability or trespass tort liability because of "religious
necessity," the right to interfere with others' enjoyment of their
property when one has religious justification, or the right to have one's
actions that injure another's property be declared "reasonable" because of
one's religious motivations - should be treated as favorably as the most
favorably treated secular motivations.

Eugene