Bob’s point 1 means the issue won’t arise very often. But when a non-theist has
a deeply held moral commitment that is analogous to similar religious
commitments, he ought to be protected.

On point 2, the lack of a sacred text is just a matter of proof, and not in
itself so important. The lack of an organized body with systematic teachings is
the bigger proof obstacle. But as most list members know, nontheistic objection
to military service was protected as a matter of statutory interpretation in
the Vietnam-era cases.  I fear it would be a tougher sell to today’s Court,
although Justice O’Connor endorsed those cases, apparently as a matter of
constitutional law, in her concurring opinion in Kiryas Joel.

On point 3, the parsonage allowance is not a protection for conscience and
really presents a quite different set of issues. It does not relieve a burden
on the exercise of religion, and it is not part of a neutral general category;
it is probably a longstanding Establishment Clause violation. But it is also
likely that no one has standing to challenge it, especially after Arizona v.
Winn.

It is not available to all employees of the church, but only to ministers. So
it should not be available to the whole staff of FFRF. But if there are
employees whose job is to teach a non-theistic belief system to followers, or
perhaps to proselytize the unconverted, they should be eligible for the
parsonage allowance. That’s how I would set up the claim if I were representing
FFRF.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546