Rick, Alan:  Allow me to ask the flip-side question of the one Alan
raises:  For those of us -- myself included, and you, and most of the
members of this list -- who have long argued that the state is
*not*responsible for the genuinely free and independent choices of
individuals
to use state $$ at a school of their choice, and that the state can surely
ameliorate any risk of misperceived endorsement by simply issuing a clear
disclaimer of neutrality and nonendorsement (see Pinette), is it really
fair to attribute to the employer here the employee's decision to use
contraception when (i) the coverage in the insurance plan is compelled by
law; (ii) the plan can be used for literally hundreds of different types of
medical goods and services, of which contraception is but one; (iii) the
decisions whether or not to use the plan for contraception are the result
of genuinely free and independent private choice and could not reasonably
be attributed to the employer; and (iv) the employer is free to issue as
many disclaimers as it wishes, explaining in no uncertain terms that it
thinks contraception is sinful, that it deplores the law in question, that
it would strongly urge its employees not to use contraception, etc.?

If we're going to argue -- as many of us have -- that the state's
involvement in the student's choice of a religious school is far too
attenuated to implicate in any strong manner the "conscience" rights of the
taxpayer whose funds eventually make their way, pursuant to many
intervening decisions, to the religious school's coffers, why should we
think there is a "substantial" burden on the employer's obligations of
conscience in this case?