In these cases about landlord or employer liability or criminal complicity,
the landlord or employer is denying complicity, and the law imposes
objective standards to adjudicate the question.  It would never be the case
that the law would allow the landlord or employer to escape liability by
saying "I didn't feel responsible for the conduct."  So don't we need
similarly objective standards to test a RFRA claimant's assertion of
proximity or responsibility?  And won't any such standards involve courts
second-guessing the religious beliefs of others?  The RFRA context requires
either "I sincerely say so"  (which many on the list have argued for, but
that has nothing to do with the objective complicity rules), or judicial
evaluation (under objective, legal standards, not Thomas-like, subjective
religious ones) of proximity to something the religious claimant views as
evil that others view as necessary and good.

On a different but related point, because of the Establishment Clause, the
effects of any statutory exemptions on third parties are an explicit part
of the legal equation (Caldor; Cutter v. Wilkinson re: the RLUIPA
calculus), though they come in on the government interest side of the story
(avoid harm to others, perhaps avoid Establishment Clause violations caused
by that harm), and not the burden story.  So the employees' interest in
obtaining the services cannot be made to disappear from the ultimate RFRA
question.

--
Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus