From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:54 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics (religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu)
Subject: Injunction barring display of "gruesome images" of aborted fetuses
outside a church

Colleagues:  I might have mentioned this case (which I'm litigating) before on
the list, but now that the briefing is done I thought I'd pass along all the
information about it, in case some might find it interesting.  The case is
Scott v. Saint John's Church in the Wilderness, in which the Colorado Court of
Appeals upheld an injunction that bars my clients from (among other things)
displaying "gruesome images" of aborted fetuses outside a church.

The court acknowledged that this was a content-based speech restriction, but
said that the injunction passed the "strict scrutiny" required for such
restrictions, because it was supposedly narrowly tailored to a compelling
government interest in shielding children from such speech.  Our petition
argues that the Supreme Court should consider the case, because lower courts
disagree on whether such content-based restrictions are constitutional.  The
brief in opposition argued that the restriction is content-neutral, and is
justified by the interest in protecting worship services (though that is not
the interest the Court of Appeals relied on).  There's a New York Times article
today by Adam Liptak about it,
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us/church-suit-says-abortion-protest-upset-children.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&;.
  Here are the relevant documents (also linked to from
http://www.volokh.com/2013/05/14/scott-v-saint-johns-church-in-the-wilderness-briefs/)
1.    The decision
below<http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2999459973173983607>.
2.    The petition for
certiorari<http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/scott/petition.pdf>.
3.    The amicus brief of free speech scholars (Profs. Floyd Abrams, Amy Adler,
Jack Balkin, Vince Blasi, David Cole, Ronald Collins, Alan Dershowitz, Norman
Dorsen, Daniel Farber, Kent Greenfield, Seth Kreimer, Sanford Levinson, Robert
O'Neil, Martin Redish, Suzanna Sherry, Geoffrey Stone, Nadine Strossen,
Jonathan Varat, and James
Weinstein)<http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/scott/amicusspeechprof.pdf>.
4.    The amicus brief of Religion Clauses scholars (Salam Al-Marayti and
Profs. Michael Ariens, Thomas Berg, Zachary Calo, Bob Destro, Carl Esbeck,
Marie Failinger, Edward Gaffney, Richard Garnett, Douglas Kmiec, Faisal Kutty,
Michael Stokes Paulsen, Michael Perry, Richard Stith, and Lynn
Wardle)<http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/scott/amicusreligionprof.pdf>, written
by Ed Gaffney.
5.    The amicus brief of historians of art and photography (Profs. Dora Apel,
Stephen Eisenman, Renée C. Hoogland, Paul Jaskot, William J. Thomas Mitchell,
Terence Smith, John Tagg, and Rebecca
Zorach)<http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/scott/amicusarthistoryprof.pdf>.
6.    The amicus brief of the Center for Bio-Ethical
Reform<http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/scott/amicuscber.pdf>.
7.    Respondents' Brief in
Opposition<http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/scott/bio.pdf>.
8.    Our Reply Brief<http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/scott/reply.pdf>.
The Court has scheduled the case to be discussed at the May 30 conference.