Alan,

Like you, I haven't given a lot of thought to how the free-speech conundrum
might play out in the contraceptive mandate cases, but back in the 90s I
gave some general thought to the free-speech objection to constitutionally
compelled exemptions. I've copied below what I wrote then about the issue,
which I think stands up okay in terms of how the compelling state interest
test could account for free speech interests. I did not, however, address
the case you raise of conduct that we don't normally think of as primarily
expressive, but that might take on an unusually expressive component in
some circumstances (as might be happening in the contraceptive coverage
cases).

By turning what could be viewed as non-expressive-conduct cases into
high-profile political causes, are advocates for religious objectors
actually making it more likely that granting exemptions to their clients
would constitute unconstitutional viewpoint discrimination? Perhaps, but my
guess is that the Court wouldn't go there. Assuming the Court were to get
past the "for profit" and "burden on employee" barriers (which I suspect it
won't, relying upon Lee and parallel undercurrents in freedom of
association cases), and reach the free speech issue, I'm inclined to think
the Court would likely conclude that (1) RFRA was not intended to relieve
burdens on viewpoints, but instead relieve burdens on conduct, (2) an
exemption in the contraception cases primarily relieves burdens on conduct,
and (3) if future cases aise involving primarily expressive conduct,
"appropriate balancing" under the compelling interest test could lead to
the denial of religious exemptions to avoid viewpoint discrimination.

- Jim

Excerpt from *Undue Burdens and the Free Exercise of Religion: "Reworking a
Jurisprudence of Doubt"*:

Professor William Marshall has argued that to recognize constitutionally
compelled exemptions is to create a First Amendment paradox: Marshall
contends that reading the Free Exercise Clause to require preferential
treatment for religion violates principles of free speech and equal access.

Marshall uses the example of a state fairground regulation that requires
all groups wishing to solicit to do so in certain limited areas. If the
state must exempt a religious group from the regulation and allow it to
approach people throughout the fairgrounds with its message, Marshall
argues that the principle of equal access to the marketplace of ideas is
violated. In this instance, Marshall is no doubt correct. However, his
example does not mean that all religious exemptions are illegitimate.
Rather, when the exemption sought implicates the free speech rights of
others, the state could deny the exemption and assert a compelling state
interest in maintaining equal access to the marketplace of ideas. Yet, if
the activity sought to be protected was of a more private nature, as in the
Yoder and Smith cases, there would be no such reason to deny an exemption.

Marshall rejects this conclusion, noting that it would be extremely odd to
provide less protection for religious speech than for other religious
activity. While this response is understandable, it fails to recognize the
simple reality that preference for public religious speech is more likely
to implicate the rights of others than is preference for private religious
activity. Furthermore, Marshall's focus on the speech context is somewhat
misleading given that most religious claims for exemption since Sherbert,
at least at the Supreme Court level, have not implicated the rights of
others to enjoy equal access to the marketplace of ideas.

In the end, Marshall's concerns only highlight the need for a free exercise
rule that balances competing First Amendment interests in a principled
manner. Just as a properly applied "undue burden" test will enable the
Court to strike an appropriate balance between equality of treatment and
special protection, the "compelling state interest" test will allow for a
reasoned weighing of free speech values when they are implicated by claims
for religious exemptions.

85 Geo. L.J. 751, 771-72 (1997).