The distinctions offered in the first two paragraphs below
might well represent a sensible moral judgment.  But I don't see how it can
affect the RFRA substantial burden analysis, if the owners sincerely consider
that they are responsible to God for using slave labor, or paying for
contraceptives, or having their stores open on the Sabbath.  I wouldn't
consider Thomas responsible for making war simply because he was doing the
military-related manufacturing job that his employer assigned to him (even if I
thought the war that his services were helping was unjust).  But Thomas thought
that this behavior was against God's will, and that was enough.

                Now whether a corporation should have standing to raise these
arguments, or whether they would have to be made through the corporations'
co-owners, is a separate question.  I think the success or failure of the
arguments ought to ultimately rest on the burden being placed on real people,
not on corporations - just as ultimately the soundness of all corporate law
principles has to rest on their effects on real people.  But it's possible that
allowing corporate standing is a useful and effective means of protecting the
owners' religious freedom rights, just as it is a useful and effective means of
protecting the owners' property against taking without just compensation or
deprivation of property without due process, or for that matter just as it is
useful and effective in constructing contract law, tort law, and so on.  And in
any event, in conducting this analysis we shouldn't, I think, rest on our
judgments of what's immoral complicity, but instead ask what are the owners'
sincere beliefs about religiously forbidden complicity.

                Eugene