Two responses: 1. The passage from Madison's M&R quoted below does not support
the proposition that he believed that religious freedom entails a right to
religion-based exemptions from valid, civil laws.  What Madison is saying (and
what most other early American advocates of religious freedom said) is that
there is no need for government and religion to conflict with one another ("in
matters of religion no man's right is abridged by the institution of civil
society") provided government does not claim jurisdiction over and legislate
intentionally and directly on religious matters (provided "religion is wholly
exempt from its cognizance").  In contrast to JM's position, the proposition
that persons have a right to religion-based exemptions is based on the
assumption that conflict between government and religion is unavoidable.  In
other words, if one accepts Brad Pardee's understanding of religious liberty
(see below) as not forcing persons to choose between obeying their God and
obeying civil laws, and those laws include purely secular laws as well as laws
dealing with religion, then conflict is inevitable--not because the government
intends or creates it, but because religious individuals and groups, for
reasons peculiar to their religion, object to obeying the laws.  I could also
give you other evidence from JM's writings to support my argument, but will not
do so here, unless I am asked for it.
2. That religious freedom meant freedom from laws dealing directly and
primarily with religion, and did not entail a right to religion-based
exemptions, was not only the original understanding of religious freedom, but
the understanding of the Supreme Court (and most of the people?) until 1963
(Sherbert v. Verner), and even then it was rejected only in theory and not in
reality, and thus Oregon v. Smith (1990) decided to "call a spade a spade" and
restored the original and historical understanding of religious freedom.

Ellis West