The government *is *relying upon women's equality -- not only health -- as
one of the compelling interests.  This makes sense, since presumably most
(but not all) employees would pay for contraception ut of pocket, rather
than go without.

  As for whether an employer's failure to cover contraception would have
violated federal law *before *the HHS rule, in 2000 the EEOC interpreted
the PDA as requiring employers to cover prescription contraception for
women if they cover “other prescription drugs and devices, or other types
of services, that are used to prevent the occurrences of other medical
conditions.” EEOC Commission Decision on Coverage of Contraception (Dec.
14, 2000), *available at* http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/decision-
contraception.html.  The only court of appeals to address the issue
disagreed, however, in a split decision -- see *In re Union Pacific R.
Employment Practices Lit.*, 479 F3d 936 (CTA8 2007).