There is another aspect to this which it seems to me has gone largely
unnoticed.  The 2 cases that the Supreme Court has agreed to review are from
individuals and businesses who do not object to contraception, but instead
object to abortion and believe that some contraceptives are abotrifacients
because they may prevent a fertilized egg from being implanted in the uterus.
Generally here the objections are to Plan B, Ella and IUDs. So presumably any
relief granted to these plaintiffs should only be for coverage of these
particular contraceptive methods. Also (though I am no scientist), there
appears to be considerable controversy about whether even these contraceptive
methods in fact interfere with implantation as opposed to interfering with
fertilization. At most, apparently, they only interfere with implantation some
times, and may not at all. So this makes any complicity with evil even more
attenuated.  And should the courts examine the science of all this?  Suppose
the court finds that Plan B never really interferes with implantation, and that
these objectors merely have a wrong view of the science.  Is it a burden on
free exercise to require cooperation with something that is mistakenly believed
to be an abortifacient?

On the other hand, the cases brought by Catholic objectors involve a broader
objection-- abortifacients AND contraceptives. Though apparently Catholic
objectors are all right with contraceptives that are prescribed for medical
conditions, and not for the purpose of contraception. So that would seem to
mean that the scope of relief-- and the kinds of insurance policies companies
will need to write in response-- will be different in different cases.  At any
rate, the relief would not seem to be a broad invalidation of coverage for all
medications that can be used as contraceptives.

And one more thing-- to the extent that objections are only to abortifacients,
Plan B is available over-the-counter to women 18 years of age and older.  Does
the contraceptive coverage mandate apply to over the counter contraceptives
when an insurance policy does not apply to other over the counter drugs?

Howard Friedman