I agree that this provision cannot really be defended on any sound theoretical
basis in the face of an establishment challenge.  But I see 5 or more votes for
this being upheld because it is just a modern updating of the old idea of the
manse, clergy house, parish house, rectory, vicarage — where the church
actually owned the residence and minister/pastor/priest lived there rent free —
instead of the church owning a house that the minister/pastor/priest lives in,
the religious organization subsidizes the minister to buy the house she wants
rather than one that may be very unsuited to her needs.  So I can see a
majority saying if one is ok, the other is ok — history trumps equality.  The
IRS does not need to treat like things alike, and never has.  And it can decide
what things are alike — this is like the manse, not like compensation to all
chief executives of non profits.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property and

"In these words I can sum up everything I've learned about life:  It goes on."

Robert Frost