My apologies for the delay responding to Alan’s point.  Alan
raises an excellent argument, but my tentative thinking is that the force of
the assault/theft hypotheticals stems precisely from the fact that they involve
injury to long-recognized common-law private rights.  I’m not sure even that
should make such hypotheticals into violations of the Establishment Clause, but
if it does, I think it’s the longstanding tradition of legally protecting the
rights -- even if the police don’t always enforce the law -- that is doing the
work.

                Indeed, I expect that the same would apply if the law allowed
people to commandeer third parties’ property without compensation, and outside
the traditional limitations on property rights.  (I recall Alan’s excellent
Property Rights Genie article, which suggested that such laws may indeed be
unconstitutional deprivations of property.)  Laws allowing people to assault
third parties outside the traditional situations (such as self-defense) would,
I think, be shocking regardless of whether the assaults were religiously
motivated; it’s hard to point to specific cases considering this, though, since
such laws are fortunately so rare.  (The closest analogy I could think was
spousal rape laws, which were in some cases struck down even despite their
history, though that is clouded by the Equal Protection Clause sex
discrimination issue.)

                In any case, I just thought I owed Alan an answer to his post.

                Eugene