Chris:  The question is not how "central" the religious exercise is to the
plaintiff's system of religion -- an assessment that I would never
encourage civic officials to assess and that the text of the statute in any
event precludes -- but how *important *it is to the plaintiff, which can be
viewed as a component of how "substantial" a burden the law places on the
religious exercise.  To take one obvious example:  Conduct that is
compelled by religious doctrine and conduct that is only modestly
encouraged by religious tradition (throwing rice at the wedding) might both
be part of "religious exercise"; but obviously a legal restriction on the
former will impose a more substantial burden on that exercise than a
restriction on the latter -- it'll "bite" more.

These cases raise a different variation on that question . . . .